Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Are we crazy? Yes, but it's for a GREAT cause!

LAUREN: Okay folks, time flew by and the LIVESTRONG Challenge Austin is just a few days away. Are we in tip-top shape for this event? Well, not really; but it could be worse. We weren't able to train as well as we did last year, but there is nothing we can do about it now. Our strategy is to stay hydrated, pace ourselves and to have fun with our riding mates. So far, it looks like we will have two members from last year's original riding crew - Uncle Steve and Ralph. My buddy, Loubel, from Pink Ribbons Project may also join us. We tend to pick up folks along the way and that's okay by us. We enjoy the conversation and will welcome the distraction from our hurting legs any time. If you can't tell, I am really excited about this ride. So many friends will be in from out of town - including Jerry and Angie, Michael and Patricia, and Erica B. - and I can't wait to see everyone. It's going to be great!


In between the "few" training rides we had, here are a few pictures to show you what we have been doing.

UT Women's Football Clinic - That's Melanie, Mack Brown and me!




Watching the Killers at ACL Fest: That's me and Jen with our super supporters - Gwen, Melissa and Devon!




That's me and Jen watching Blue October AFTER we rode 30 miles that day!



Traveling for work: This photo is from National Manufacturing Week near Chicago. Pretty, isn't it?





UT Football Game vs. Rice: We won that one. Hook'em!



Watching my pal, Lisa, complete a Half-Ironman. That's me, Lisa, Jeff (her husband) and a real longhorn!
P.S. I just signed up to do the MS 150 (the ride from Houston to Austin) as part of the National Instruments Cycling Team. Fun times!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the photo tour of Lauren's life. :) Have fun this weekend and again, I'm so excited about the MS150 for you.

Brian Dowd said...

LAUREN - Best of luck in the Challenge! I also wanted to say the MS150 is an outstanding event (having just read about it.) My mother is living with MS, my grandmother died from MS and just like cancer it is a horrible disease. Earlier this year I did our local areas 8 mile MS walk with my wife and kids.

Thank you for helping support both Cancer and MS causes!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the Challenge - both of you will do great!