Sunday, July 8, 2007

No Rain and No Weekend Travel = Time for Riding

LAUREN: Count me in for the basic bike maintenance training. A few weeks ago, I was trying to air up my tires and realized that the pump I had at home wasn't a match for the valve on my tire. By the time I figured it out, I was left with a flat and no way to fix it. Hence, I headed down to the local bike shop and promptly bought a new pump. Although, I had to convince the bike mechanic that it wasn't a busted tube or something else more serious (i.e., read this as something that would cost more money to fix). Nope... this issue was a result of me not knowing what I was doing and then figuring it out after it was too late. After all that, I was a little embarrassed but happy to be on the riding again shortly thereafter.


It has been a long while since I have been able to ride (and a long time since I have done a blog posting - my apologies!) I did sneak in a short ride this past Wednesday morning; but it was less than 20 minutes, so I don't think it really counts. Between all of the rain we have had lately and other commitments I have had in the evening and on the weekends, today was the first day this week that I have been able to ride.


I rode the usual neighborhood route and headed to the stretch of road that is frequented by a few riders. I also read that it is a" better cardio workout" to alternate your riding pace so that is what I did. I rode as fast as I could for 2 minutes and then dropped to a more comfortable pace for 3 minutes. This lasted for about 15 minutes, which was a good challenge for me and it definitely helped pass the time. Overall, it was a good ride. Plus, I think my legs are going to be sore tomorrow.

LOG:

Total Time: 1 Hour; 3 minutes

Distance: Not quite sure; Maybe 10-12 miles

Temperature: 88 F

2 comments:

Brian Dowd said...

Keep challenging yourself. You are doing great!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren,

I got your message about leaving LAF. I will definitely miss you there and hope I will see you in the line up for the 70 mile in October.

I just returned from Los Angeles last night, where I spent the last 2 weeks doing volunteer leadership work with inner city youth in the LA foster care program. A tough bunch (former gang memembers, juvies, etc.) who trust literally no one. Somehow me and my fellow leaders were able to open them up with the program we created. It was quite an experience that I am very grateful to have been a part of. It has reaffirmed my belief that we have to live for today because we never know when it could end.

I too am in training and am curious if the 70 miles will actually be 75 miles again (like last year).

thanks for letting me know how to keep in contact.

warmly, LauraLynn