Sunday, March 18, 2007

And here's a little about Lauren!

LAUREN: Last year’s LIVESTRONG Challenge in Austin was my first time to be back on a bike since I was a kid. When Jen asked me to consider doing the 40-mile ride with her, I thought why not? It’s for a great cause and it’s a good way to get some exercise. Deep down, I must admit that I was a little intimidated by the distance. Plus, I didn’t even have a bike to ride. Luckily, I was fortunate to borrow a hybrid bike from a friend (Thank you, Steph!) and was able to train and fundraise for the event. Through my job last year, I worked the LAF booth at most of the LIVESTRONG Village sites. However, being an event participant was such an amazing experience that it inspired me to ride again.

This year, I am challenging myself to ride 70 miles, which means that I am also in search of my very own road bike. I am educating myself about frame sizes and bike components, have visited nearly every bike shop in Austin and am looking into previously owned bikes too. I am also grateful to have a handful of friends who are pretty knowledgeable about bikes (Thank you – Kim, Chris, Rodney, Michael B. and Lisa!) and don’t mind all of my questions. After the initial sticker shock of road bike prices wore off, I knew that saving up to get new bike would also be a challenge.

I am eager to start training again and to start fundraising too. I raised a little more than $2,500 for the LAF last year and I am not sure if I can top that, but it will sure be fun to try.

I hadn’t thought about this earlier, but this year’s ride in Austin occurs on my two year wedding anniversary. I mentioned this to my husband earlier today and he might join me and Jen on our ride. He’s much faster on a bike than we are, but it would be nice to have him join us. We’ll see what happens!

A friend shared this quote with me a while back and it really spoke to me. I hope it speaks to you too.

Above all, challenge yourself. You may well surprise yourself at what strengths you have, what you can accomplish.--Cecile M. Springer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you are going to find a good road bike at an affordable price soon! I'll keep scouring craigslist for you too:) Love following the blog and the Jen and Lauren adventures.

Lisa said...

This is going to be fun! I'm looking forward to reading about both of your adventures and eager to hear about the new bikes. You will LOVE being on a road bike after riding hybrids for such distances. They are so much easier and faster.

Meanwhile, you might as well know I blog about my training as well. It's more a personal journal than anything, but it's out there: http://ferrariflies.blogspot.com/