Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I GOT A BIKE…A NEW BIKE!


LAUREN: A strange sequence of events occurred today. As you may recall, I was supposed to check out a used bike I found on Craig’s List today. For some reason, the seller never responded back to me to arrange a meeting time or to let me know that the bike was no longer available. I was a little disappointed, but it happens.

Coincidentally, Chris saw an advertisement at a local gym promoting the same bike I had been eyeing on Craig’s List, but it was a more recent model and BRAND NEW! It costs a little more than the used version, but it had better components too. Since the original plan of checking out a used bike fell through, Kim and I headed down to Bicycle Sport Shop today during lunch and found the bike in my size. SCORE! Kim also works there from time to time and she connected me with Rick, a very knowledgeable sales guy. Here’s the other cool thing. Technically the bike sale doesn’t start until Friday, but Rick said he would give me the sale price on the bike if I came back and purchased the bike tonight. SWEET! We were short on time so I put the bike on hold and promised to come back later for a test ride.

My husband and I arrived at the bike shop thirty minutes before closing. We found Rick and soon I was set up for a test ride in the parking lot. The frame (52 cm) was fine, but the handlebars were a bit far for my reach. Just to be sure we had the right frame size, I tested a smaller frame (49 cm) and it was definitely too small. Rick changed the stem on the 52 cm bike and it felt much more comfortable. We quickly ran out of time and since the store was now closing, I opted to purchase the bike tonight instead of risking that it might be sold the next day. I also didn’t bring the bike home tonight, but chose to leave it at the store so I could do a “true” fitting when I had more time. Hence, I now have a fitting appointment tomorrow evening.

I am super excited to have this big purchase out of the way. (Although my husband would probably say that he had a little heartburn when we were paying for it. ;-)) It’s funny how things have a way of working out, but I guess that is why they say “everything happens for a reason!”

Thank you to everyone that helped me with this process. I can’t wait to start riding my new bike! (See photo)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new bike. I know how long you have been waiting for this and it seems like the perfect bike for you:)

Ride on!

Anonymous said...

Crikey, she's a beauty! Way to go Lauren! It sounds like you got a great deal on a bike, even if they're still grossly expensive.
Enjoy your first ride!
SPotts

Jennifer and Lauren said...

I'm so excited for you. I love your new bike! Can't wait for us to start riding together again. Jennifer

Lisa said...

Congrat, LEG!! But, the photo's so small, I can't see the bike. What kind is it? How did the fit go?