Thursday, March 22, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards

JENNIFER: My thoughts are with Elizabeth Edwards and her family as they face her cancer recurrence head-on. I had the opportunity to meet Elizabeth backstage before she spoke at the LAF's LIVESTRONG Summit last October, and she was incredibly genuine and kind. She is the type of woman with whom you want to grab lunch or gab on the phone -- very down-to-earth and unassuming. I look forward to reading her book, Saving Graces. (Just as soon as I finish (start?) my Book Club book.) And I wish her the best as she begins her cancer treatment.

Some colleagues and I watched today's press conference with Elizabeth and John Edwards in Lauren's office. To me, as a newlywed, seeing their demonstration of a true partnership was heartwarming.

Speaking of the news, did you happen to be watching ABC World News Tonight tonight? If you watched closely, you saw a few seconds of footage of Elizabeth at the LIVESTRONG Summit. Yellow stage, huge photo of Lance, Elizabeth reading an excerpt from her book.

I spent the better part of this afternoon working with our awesome, amazing video production company friends at Alpheus Media and the ever-helpful local ABC affiliate to send our Summit footage to ABC in New York so they could include it in the package. It was quick, but it was there! Today's PR victory.

Have a good evening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren, I happened to hear the Edwards' press conference live on NPR and had to get up from my desk with tears in my eyes at the end of it. Elizabeth Edwards' story sound very familiar. In 2003 my wife Patricia (a breast cancer survivor since 1999) started having pains in her ribs. Doctors appointments finally resulted in a bone scan. Fortunately for us, the result came back as dead bone tissue as a result of her radiation therapy in 1999. Those days leading up to the bone scan, and the hours required for the actual bone scan were agonizing. You think good thoughts but keep wondering "what if?".

As I said, we were fortunate and have been in the four years since, but Elizabeth Edwards hit the nail on the head when she said "You worry about every new pain". Cancer Survivorship is not easy, and I am thankful beyond words that we have the LAF to help support us in that challenge.

You guys have an awesome Web Log, I look forward to future posts.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Sorry Jennifer, I meant to address my comment above to you, not Lauren.