Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Crucial conversations

JENNIFER: Yesterday, Lauren and I wrapped up a two-day training in Crucial Conversations.

Along with half of our colleagues (the other half took the training last week), we learned techniques for having effective conversations at work and at home.

Everyone picked a learning partner to help us identify conversations we needed to have and to practice having difficult conversations about some of the challenges we face.

Colin was my learning partner, which meant that I got to know someone who I didn't know very well before. While I have always thought Colin was a great guy, he is not someone at work with whom I typically share these types of things so I wondered how far I would go with the sharing.

(Short commercial break follows here: Colin works in the LAF's development department, and he and his team work on ways for people to get involved with the LAF through our grassroots fundraising and marathon programs. Check it out.)

How nice it was to work with Colin! He offered insightful feedback when we practiced our new techniques, and I hope I helped him, too.

On another note... Did I mention that tomorrow is my birthday? In exactly one hour and seven minutes, I will officially be in my thirties...

No comments: