Thursday, June 28, 2007

This is the weekend, I just know it!

JENNIFER: This will be the weekend I finally get back in the saddle. If I keep saying it, and if I say it to more and more people, and if I post it on my blog...then I think it will be so. I'm gearing myself up to make it so.

If only the crazy, rain Texas weather would cooperate. Rain rain go away. Come again another day.

Today my friend Devon reminded me that I did not share our experiences at the Luling Watermelon Thump last Friday night. She seemed to consider this a missed opportunity. In Devon's words, "the Thump was the place to see and be seen."

Aside from the Randy Rogers Band (they were good!), some of the noteworthy things we saw at the Thump include:

  • Camouflauge watermelon koozies
  • A huge watermelon sign that, as the legend goes, used to be lit up with twinkle lights but now it's not
  • Matching turquoise his-and-hers Lynyrd Skynyrd concert tees
  • Lots of cheap canned beer with a beer tent system that operated like clockwork
  • A group of friends singing and dancing around one girl who apparently indulged in too much cheap canned beer and fell down in front of us. Twice. Poor thing.
  • Sparkly glitter-adorned campaign posters for the Thump Queen

On that note, congratulations to Vanessa, this year's Thump Queen, who we recognized from afar due to her tiara and sash. Also a shout-out to the Thump Princess and Thump Duchesses.

We got to Luling too late to see the watermelon eating and seed spitting contests. Next year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this web log entry, I had to think to myself "This is as 'Texas' as it gets. I need to break out my old beat up copy of 'The Last Picture Show' and read it again...."

Sounds like it was a greta evening. I can't ("cain't"?) wait to get back down to Austin for the 2007 LIVESTRONG Challenge in October.

Of course I've got a lot of trainign and fund raising to do as well.

Also, add my blog to your list of favorites! Pretty Please!?!?! I'd be honored.

Thx guys (I mean gals).

LuckyLab said...

I hear you about the training. I'm in on the Portland Challenge (so are my wife and daughters) in September and the recent arrival of my second daughter has kept me out of the saddle more than I would like. I've started signing up for organized rides on the weekends. They make me ride at least then and there is usually a ride short enough not to kill me and long enough to make me work a little.