Sunday, June 10, 2007

Riding Again

LAUREN: On Saturday I rode 15 miles at the Veloway. Yes, 15 miles! I know it's not much; but for me, it was an important start. I needed to push myself since it had been so long and wanted to see just how far I could go after a two month hiatus.

I had some hurdles to overcome in the morning like a flat tire, needing to buy a new helmet and getting my tire fixed. By the time all of that was done, I didn't start riding until after 11am. I know that doesn't sound too late, but it's already hot in Texas and only gets worse as the day progresses. My goal was to ride at least 12 miles, but I knew that I would have to gauge it by how much water I had with me or by just how much of the heat I could take.

In the end, I was happy to have surpassed my goal and just thrilled to be riding again. I must admit that I am a little intimidated by the 70-mile course due to the fact that I am behind in my training. However, all I can do is take it one day at a time and I am happy with Saturday's start. Sunday will be a rest day and I hope to do a short ride on Monday.

LOG:
Total Time: 1 Hour; 17 minutes
Distance: 15 miles

2 comments:

Brian Dowd said...

Lauren - Keep up the good work. You may not have gotten all the training you wanted - but you can do it! Stay focused and you WILL be able to complete the 70 miles.

I am in the same boat on my training, but I plan on regrouping and getting back on track.

LIVESTRONG!

Jennifer and Lauren said...

Brian - thanks for the encouragement. i appreciate it! --lm