Monday, April 16, 2007

Enough Talk...It's Time for Action

LAUREN: I read Jen’s posting last week and it really struck me because I was in the same boat. A week had gone by and I didn’t get on the bike once last week. UGH – so disappointing! In addition, I was reading my friend's blog and she’s recovering from her first half-ironman. I was thrilled for her, but again disappointed that I had done nothing last week. (She’s also doing the MS150 from Houston to Austin this weekend, and that’s something I would like to tackle next year.)

So enough talk, it’s now time for action and that action started yesterday. From here until Challenge weekend, I am getting serious about training and will only let myself work late two nights per week. (I can hear some of my colleagues laughing about that, but I am going to make it happen!) I will also ride three times a week – two times during the week and once during the weekend.

I rode on Sunday for an hour (without padded biking shorts – big mistake, I won’t do that again.) through my neighborhood and had the best time. The weather was so beautiful and tons of people were outside doing yard work or hanging out in the yard.

While riding, along with admiring the nice landscaping of many of my neighbors, I started thinking about how I also needed to get my fundraising efforts started. I met some of the Challenge mentors for breakfast on Saturday morning (Viva Las Manitas!) and heard stories about what each of them planned to do. They had some interesting ideas and advice, but I will focus on that next week.

This week, it’s all about getting back on the bike and logging time in the saddle. I am trying to start a new routine, which will require me to get up earlier and arrive at the office earlier in order to miss traffic. I am striving to achieve a better work/life balance and today was my first step toward making it happen. I know it won’t always be easy, but it wouldn’t be worth it if it were easy. Plus, I will have each of you to hold me accountable. :-)

I am also heading to Washington, D.C., at the end of the week for a site visit to prepare for LIVESTRONG Day. I hope they have bike in the hotel gym because I will be there on a “ride day.” On a work-related note, we are about four weeks away from LIVESTRONG Day, and it’s going to be G-R-E-A-T!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on Lauren!!

THAT (meaning your revived cycling attitude) is what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Your work (and dedication to it) is extremely important to all of us associated with the LAF who rely on your endless hours of overtime; but you have that new bike, and it is your duty (to yourself) to ride.

SportyOne13 said...

you need to buy more bike shorts i think:)

Amanda said...

Sounds like you're doing a great job, and the cause is inspiring you like it is me. Something you could try as far as fundraising is concerned: I am having all my friends and family save their soda cans and take them to aluminum recycling places. It's not much, but if you get enough people over the course of 5 or 6 months, it can definitely add up.

Where are you guys in Texas? Maybe we could get together for a ride this summer. I'm in San Antonio and will be riding the Austin challenge.

Henrike said...

Hello Lauren!

I'm one of the mentors you didn't get to meet- I'm from Germany, one of the International mentors.
It's just a great idea to post your experiences on blogger and a good motivation to read about someone else's training experiences.
I just put a link to your blog on mine- and maybe you could put a link to my blog on your site as well- if you don't mind, that is.
My blog is: www.fightagainstcancer.blogspot.com

Anyway, best of luck with your training and fundraising and I'm looking forward to read all about it!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I work as an Adult Probation Officer 4 ten hour days and then work at BikeWorld on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Translation: I don't get to ride much as I'm trying to pay off my daughters wedding (Big $). I can only say that we're given so many days on earth, please save some for your health! RIDE ON! Kurt