Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Matzah break, now back on the bike

JENNIFER: My small break from cycling and blogging this week was due to my stressing about, hosting and then recovering from celebrating Passover on Monday evening.

Matt and I invited some friends over for Passover seder - our first time to formally entertain since we moved into the house. I used our wedding china and crystal, and our dining table looked lovely! Thanks to my friend Melissa for the great decorating ideas.

I made a brisket that halfway through resembled worn leather but ended up perfectly tender, juicy and yummy. I also served gefilte fish (out of the jar), matzah ball soup and garlic sauteed spinach. Matt picked out a couple of pints of Ben & Jerry's for dessert, and our friend Stacey brought over delicious baklava. YUM.

I finally got back on the bike this evening, and I had a nice ride. The weather had cooled off, and I tried to push myself to ride longer than a half hour and faster than my normal pace. I was a little disappointed when I got home and realized I'd only been on the bike for 35-ish minutes. I thought for sure I had ridden at least 45 minutes! I know I need to build up my time because soon I'll have to kick into gear with some serious training for the 70-mile.

A quick shout-out to my dad for taking first place in the NCAA basketball bracket that Lauren and her husband put together. Daddy said I should use his winnings to treat my friends to the first round of drinks at tomorrow night's happy hour. What a cool dad I have!

2 comments:

Brian Dowd said...

Sound like it was a great Passover for you and your family. Best wishes!

Brian Dowd

Anonymous said...

Being a kid who was raised "very" Lutheran, I read your story of preparing your Passover celebration a couple of times. If you can't use your wedding china during a big holiday, then when can you use it?
(Our china only comes out at Thanksgiving and Christmas, or on the rare occasion that a cranky old lady basset hound was relaxing in front of the 'everyday' plates cabinet and refused to move.)

Sure, I learned the story of Passover and Moses leading the Children of Israel out of Egypt in Sunday School as a child (and even taught it as a teenage during the short time I as a Sunday School teacher. It's hard to believe I did that at this point).

Your description of the celebration was very interesting (and cool).

About your bike ride, we all have rides (and runs) where we think, "good grief, that was no fun".

You treasure the great rides, and you learn from the less than great rides. They are all good training.